Monday, March 7, 2011

Big Bear Part 2 - The Adventure Coming Down the Mt.

So the last post ended with us packing up and taking group photos.  There won't be any photos throughout this post so I am gonna start with a few.



Loading up and getting ready to go.

Got to have a pic of everyone just standing around. 

Second day snow.  We made it all the way down the Mt. with that snow on the Sienna. 

Those are some major icicles.  

I just think this photo is so cute.  Love the sassy attitude :)

Ok on with the story.  So we load up and start going.  We go for a while without any snow on the road, so we decide to take off the chains. Then we make the one and only pitstop at a gas station for gas, snack, and bathroom break.  As I pull up to the pump RG walks over from the other van points to the front of my van and says, "Wendy it's gone, it's gone, it's not there, Terry is gonna be mad, it's gone!" I'm thinking I somehow lost the front bumper or something, I get out and notice it is the hubcap that is missing and just laugh.  I tell Aaron, who then tells me that he told me that earlier... go me for a.) not listening and b.) not even noticing.  Everyone gets back in the vans and away we go.  When pulling out of the gas station there is just no way that we can stay together, there is a constant line of cars coming down the Mt.  So Aaron ends up being about 1/2 a mile in front of me.  I was not thinking ahead and didn't program my GPS to help me back to Casa and eventually came to a fork in the road not having any idea which way to go. 

Before leaving Casa to go on the trip Aaron & I had set up for our shotgun riders to be our communicators since it is a Casa rule that we absolutely do NOT talk on the phone while driving so CN and SC were our copilot communicators.  Seemed like a good idea... not so much.  It was definetely a game of Telephone our messages to each other were twisted and turned and way more dramatic then we ever meant them to be.  I ask CN to ask which way on the fork and finally get a an answer to go right and then traffic comes to a complete stop.  When we finally start moving the Sienna is completely slipping and sliding and barely has any traction and then we get completely stuck.  That's right we are not moving cause we took the chains off too soon.  This one little town obviously did not get plowed hourly like everywhere else and I was stuck and completly blocking all traffic. Then suddenly there are 6 guys that get out of their cars and start trying to push me. I open the front 2 windows so that I can hear their directions. There was one guy who came up by my window and grabbed the front and sliding door handles to help push/ direct the van and he just started telling me what a stupid female I am and that I must be retarded for taking off my chains so soon.  He is just repeating this over and over.  CN is trying to call Aaron to tell him that I am stuck and everyone is hearing this man call me retarded... he was a real piece of work.  I eventually get out of the car, I'm not really sure why but I did, and this guy follows me and continues to yell at me. I finally turn to him and say, "Sir I'm sorry for the trouble I have caused you and I thank you for your help but I need you to go away now because if you call me retarded one more time I swear I am going to punch you in the face."  He then called me a stupid female under his breath and then finally left me alone.  Another man who was really nice told me there is no way they can push me out and that my only option is for him to push me with his F150.  Another guy offered to drive the van for me, which I kindly refused since its a company car and it is filled with residents.  At this time CN is so anxious and can't get a word out, so I take her phone and tell SC to tell Aaron to put in his ear piece cause I'm breaking the rule and calling him.  I tell him the situation and then have the F150 push me over to the side of the road. 

Then a trucker whose truck got stuck came over to offer me some help to get the chains back on my van.  Aaron had put chains on his van and had turned around to help me out as well.  He got to our van right as the trucker finished with my chains.  So now I was on my way and Aaron needed to turn around so I start driving to find a place to pull over because at this point I don't want us seperated anymore.  RCa tells me, "Wendy I commend you for how you handled yourself through that situation.  I heard what you said and if you had gotten into a fight then I would have had your back."  So sweet!  Then as we are sitting there and RCa is getting impatient about waiting he says, "Wendy I think I am going to call in some favors.  I have some friends that work in the military and I think I can make some calls and get us all helivaced out of here.  You know where they will harness the vans and carry us back to Casa." I laugh and RCa is proud of his joke.  Overall the residents did a great job of staying calm and no one really freaked out.  Finally the other van shows up and Aaron stops traffic so that I can go infront of him and we can now stay together.  He comes up with a plan that he will flash his lights when it is time to take off the chains.  So we are on our way. 

After a little while I notice that Aaron has gotten pretty far behind me and then pulls over.  I must not have noticed when he flashed his lights so I pull off the road and see him working on his chains.  Ok I will be helpful and take off my own chains its easy enough.  RCa lets me know that I am a girl and shouldn't have to do that, but I tell him it is ok.  So just as I am rolling up my chains to put them away, Aaron stops behind me and then informs me that he was just checking his chains not taking them off.  Great, so I'm the unhelpful girl who tries to be helpful and is NOT.  We decide I will drive the other van with the chains just in case.  Then Aaron lets me know that he has got to go the bathroom.  Well we are in the middle of NOWHERE!  Then RG hopps out of the van stating he has to pee as well.  So they walk off and pee.  RG thought this was the greates thing ever. He got to make yellow snow!

Then we start off again and traffic is incredibly slow and now the van that I'm driving is making this terrible noise.  I have SC call to tell CN to tell Aaron... well that just made it seem like an emergency so I get a phone call to clarify.  I really wasn't that worried cause the van was not overheating, but the message came across that I was freaking out. Oh the telephone game strikes again!  Then there was an accident where a van without chains completely flipped over and traffic was down to barely a lane.  Then there was check point for all vehicles going up to have to put on chains which slowed traffic on both sides.  And then finally we were down the Mt. A total of 5 hours and we finally made it down!  Then we were off.  SC is going nuts cause she needs a restroom break and is constantly calling Aaron screaming about it. It is histerical to hear her end of the conversation and you can tell that Aaron is antagonising her. So we made one more pit stop for those who didn't make yellow snow. 

A total of 6 hours to get home and it should have only taken 2!  It was quite an adventure and I would do it all again.  It was an amazing weeekend with tons of great moments.  I can not wait to plan the next trip to see what happens!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment