Saturday, May 28, 2011

Restaurant Review

This is not my typical post, but I feel as though with any avenue available to me I need to tell people about the bad service my Aunt Barbara and I received last night when we went to dinner.  Small bit of background about me, when I worked at Sky Ranch it was all about the customer service and my boss (the one I liked) taught me that turning around a bad experience is imperative and can even leave a better impression then having an OK experience.  Also, through all the chaos that I dealt with, people just want you to ask one simple question, "What can we do to make this right?"  With that said the below restaurant did NOTHING to make a bad experience better, but they continued to make it worse. 

The Reserve Wine Bar and Shop
25642 Crowne Valley Parkway
Ladera Ranch, CA 92694

This was probably one of the worst dinning or customer service experiences I have ever had.  My Aunt Barbara out in Cali likes to go to restaurants with great food, some are upscale, some are hole in the walls, and some are just run of the mill, but all generally have amazing food, great ambiance, and phenomenal customer service.  She compared this place to another Restaurant that she has taken me to that I loved, Wine Works, so I was very excited to try this new place.  Upon walking in I saw that it was not as nice as Wine Works, so I was very hopeful that it would be more in my typical price range and some place that I would be able to afford with my friends.  Its a small space to begin with, half is the wine shop and the other half is crammed full of folding chairs and tables and a bar that can barely be called a bar.  We ended up sitting at the barely there bar due to the folding tables and chairs being reserved.  The "bar" did not have any room for your legs and had way too many chairs for the small space.  Once I looked at the menu and prices I was shocked that the seating was not nicer, due to the prices for food and drinks being so high.  

Barbara order a Blue Moon, and this man at the bar, who we later realized was the owner, laughed at her and sarcastically told her it is sold out. (Mistake 1) Barbara was polite and asked how she was suppose to know that and he stated it said so on the menu, we opened her menu and it was not written there.  He laughed, and said, "Well its still sold out."  (Mistake 2) We were both shocked by this response and I was surprised that they didn't apologize for the misprint and take the menu to immediately make the change. Instead they just told her to order something else. (Mistake 3)

Barbara found another beer and I found a wine.  We then were looking over the menu and nothing was looking all that great or interesting.  We finally settled on something I got their Rum & Raisin Chicken and she got Ciappino.  While we were waiting for the food the waitress behind the bar did not pay us any attention and it was very hard to get her attention to order new drinks (Mistake 4).  We came to realize very quickly that unless you were a regular they were not going to give you any notice.  It was also at this point that we realized that the sarcastic man was the owner as he was making chummy with the regulars, but never once greeted us or anything. (Mistake 5)  This place probably could not hold more then 20 people and at the time we were there, there were only about 5 other people, so an owner really should come by to greet you and ask about the food.  Speaking of which, the food was not worth the price.  My chicken was dry and hard to cut, Barbara's Ciappino had barely any fish, bland sauce, and consisted mainly of white rice.  For dessert we got a cheese plate, which was fair, but was probably cheese we could have purchased at Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

Next up was the check fiasco.  They took our plates, and we had to ask for the check, once again having difficulties getting the attention of the waitress.  Again let me remind you this is not a big place and the bar is tiny, so she was ignoring us.  Barbara had a Groupon to use for the meal.  The waitress then yelled over the bar asking if Barbara understood how to tip properly using the Groupon.  RUDE! (Mistake 6) The first check we received stated all we owed was $2.19.  The receipt that we were to sign came back being over $80 which was charged to the card.  Barbara questioned it because that is a HUGE difference, and the waitress sighed and acted as though she were annoyed with us, never once apologizing for the wrong check. (Mistake 7) Then another receipt came back with yet another price on it that made no sense with all the charges and did not show the Groupon discount. So Barbara asked for a receipt that showed her card was credited and an itemized receipt for all charges, this is not a ridiculous request.  This time the owner came by shoved a receipt at us and said, "Here."  (Mistake 8) He did not apologize or anything! And guess what this receipt had yet another price on it. (Mistake 9) Now we have 3 different receipts with three different prices and none of them adding up correctly and no one apologizing or even attempting to help us figure out what is going on.  Barbara asks the owner to come over and explain the receipt and his first remark is, "What are you having a bad day?" (Mistake 10) Seriously that is the first thing out of his mouth when he has been snarly and rude from the get go.  Barbara says, "Excuse me, I am not having a bad day, and why would you say that." He states, "Well you have been hilarious from the beginning, ordering a beer that is sold out, and now this."  (Mistake 11) Barbara then explains yet again that her menu did not state the beer was sold out so how was she to know, that at this point with all the receipt screw ups he should be apologizing not trying to antagonize the guest.  He just chuckled and said, "Well I have been here for 6 1/2 years and never encountered someone like you." (Mistake 12) Seriously no one has apologized or even begun to try to actually help us.  Barbara then just states she just wants to know how much is being charged to her card so that she knows how much to tip so we can leave.  He says, "Its right here" pointing at nothing in particular and walks off. (Mistake 13).  He then comes back and starts making comments again at Barbara about her attitude (Mistake 14) which I think Barbara was actually being too nice to the man and I was holding my tongue because I just wanted to tear into him, but I figured that what I had to say was a bit more colorful then Barbara.  We finally just got out of there, but they never once apologized for THEIR mistakes, for which I counted at least 14.  The whole thing was terrible.  Oh I forgot to mention that their bathroom was a unisex bathroom and disgusting.  There was a urinal & toilet that both needed an actual cleaning, I just walked out.

All in all horrific experience and a lesson in what NOT to do to your customers.  I think I have had better service in Chick-fil-A at the counter then I have there.  At least the one time they over charged me they gave am coupon for a free Chicken Sandwich on my next visit.  At Sky Ranch when someone was unhappy the very least we would do is give them a free mild shake and if was a bill problem I'm sure we would not ask the questioning guest if it was due to them having a bad day!

If anyone reading this is looking for a GREAT little wine bar and restaurant then I would suggest Wine Works.  It is pricey so save up for it, but the food is amazing and the service is the best around.

No comments:

Post a Comment